Pages

You guys should see the stack of sweaters I've thrifted this winter to refashion!  Eek!  And when I went in yesterday and they were having a $1/sack full sale I couldn't help but pick up more!

I am so bad about taking before pictures, so you'll just have to imagine that I haven't cut off the sides or the ends of the sleeves yet, mmmkay?

I pretty much just followed this FAB tutorial from Flexible Dreams - using one of Brylie's dresses to help me determine size, shape, sleeves, etc.  Mine even had a band of black at the end of the sleeves that I was able to use on the short sleeves for the dress!  It's the little things that make me happy ;)

So after I did the basic reconstruction (side seams and sewed on the sleeves - so glad I have some basic sewing knowledge! ) I had to decide what I wanted to do about these buttons.  Back in their day I'm sure they were great, but now, and for a 4 year old, yeah, not so much.  Not to mention that one was missing.  I just went with a basic button down the center.  Instead of putting buttons on the bottom pockets, I just sewed on a grosgrain bow - she's not going to need them anyway :) 

And there ya have it!  And adorable (and light this one is) dress!  I used a women's large sweater and turned out about a 5T.  I fully expect that by fall it will be too short, but I think it will be great with a pair of black leggings under it too :)
Can't beat a new (custom) dress for 10 cents for the sweater, 88 cents for the buttons, and everything else I already had!  I will probably take the big chunks I cut off and make her some fun hair accessories to match!  Oh, and did I mention it only took me about 20 mins?  Okay, a little more than that, but only because I had to make 2 trips to Walmart to get buttons (they must have slipped through the slots in my cart the first time?  Seriously, took me longer to make those 2 trips than it did to put this thing together!).  LOVE IT!

Linking up:









Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


UndertheTableandDreaming












Beyond The Picket Fence



4 Comments

4 Responses so far.

  1. Hi Amy. Trying the comment out.

  2. Jill says:

    Sorry if this comment is doubled up -it seemed to disappear the first time I typed it!

    I love this dress - great upcycling project!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

  3. Sharon says:

    Very beautiful, just love it!! Any girl would love to have this dress!

  4. Jennifer says:

    just love it. Fab find fab dress

Post a Comment